Benefits of Meditation
Meditation is a technique for resting the mind and attaining a certain state of consciousness that is completely different from when you are at your normal waking state. It is a state where one understands all the various levels within oneself and experiences the consciousness within.
When one is meditating, your mind is relaxed, clear and inwardly focused. Yes, you are fully alert and awake but your mind is not dwelling on the external events happening around you. You calm and quiet your inner self so that your mind becomes silent and no longer distracts you.
In a nutshell, meditation is about relaxation and not concentration.
The main benefits of meditation are:
- Good concentration
- Better clarity
- A calm mind
- Improved communication
- Rejuvenation of the mind and body
Health Benefits of Meditation
When one undergoes meditation, there is a change in the physiology of every cell in the body whereby there is an increase in energy at the cellular level. This transcends into greater joy, peace and enthusiasm as the energy in the body increases.
At a physical level, meditation:
- Reduces anxiety attacks by lowering the levels of blood lactate
- Reduces high blood pressure
- Improves mood and behavior by increasing levels of serotonin
- Improves the immune system
- Decreases tension-related pain such as muscle problems, joint pain, insomnia, ulcers and tension headaches
- Increases your energy levels
Mental Benefits of Meditation
Meditation helps to propel the brainwave pattern into a superior alpha state promoting healing. The mind is fresh and nourishes and calms you from within. You are able to easily overcome feelings of overwhelm, emotional anxieties and instability.
Regular practice of meditation helps to:
- Decrease anxiety levels
- Improve emotional stability
- Increase happiness
- Increase creativity levels
- Develop a higher level of intuition
- Gain peace of mind and clarity
- Find solutions to problems faster
- Sharpen the mind by increasing its focus
- Reducing negative feelings and effects of anger, tension and frustration
Spiritual Benefits of Meditation
Meditation transcends religion and can therefore be practiced by anybody regardless of whichever faith they practice.
- In meditation, there is a seamless transition from being something to becoming one with the infinite and appreciating that you are an important part of the whole universe.
- When you are in a meditative state, you exude calmness, peace and joy and this is transmitted to the environment around you bringing harmony to creation.
- Meditation is a proven path to an authentic personal transformation. The more you learn about yourself, the more you start to discover what your purpose in life is and you can begin to live your life at its fullest potential.
Benefits of Meditation for Students
- More focus and clarity
- More mental energy and strength
- Greater confidence
- Better health
- Greater dynamism
Regular practice of meditation is necessary to experience these benefits. A few minutes every day will truly enrich your life.